Mint allergy is not very widespread and common, this allergy can range from mild to severe and life-threatening.
Mint is a group of leafy plants, where mint herb oil is used to add flavor to sweets and foods, it is also used to add flavor to products such as toothpaste and mouthwash and to add scents to lotions and perfumes.
Mint leaves and peppermint oil are used as herbal medicine for many diseases, including calming stomach and intestinal disorders, and relieving headache. Some of the substances available in these plants act as anti-inflammatory and are used to treat symptoms associated with allergies, but they may contain some substances. Others that may cause allergic reactions in some people.
Symptoms associated with mint allergy
Symptoms of mint allergy can occur when eating it or the plant comes into contact with the skin, and the symptoms that may occur as a result of eating mint herb in a person who suffers from an allergy similar to the symptoms of other food allergies , and these symptoms include:
Itching and tingling in the mouth.
Swelling of the tongue or lips.
Itching and swelling in the throat area.
Nausea and vomiting.
The problem of an allergic reaction that results from contact with the mint herb is also known as contact dermatitis , and the skin that touches the mint can become infected with:
Redness and itching of the skin, often severe.
swelling of the skin
Pain in the palpable area.
The appearance of some skin blisters.
rash or hives ;
When should a visit to the doctor take place?
A severe allergic reaction is known as anaphylaxis, and it is a medical emergency that may be life-threatening and may occur suddenly, and it is a condition that requires medical treatment and immediate intervention. Signs and symptoms that accompany anaphylaxis include the following:
Severe and severe swelling in the area of the tongue, lips and throat.
Shortness of breath.
Reduction of Blood pressure.
fainting or lightheadedness
Many people who know that they have some severe allergic reactions to mint or other herbs always carry an injection of epinephrine, which is injected into the thigh muscle area in order to reduce and stop allergic symptoms immediately, but even when receiving such injections, care must be sought medical immediately.
A specialist can diagnose a mint allergy by conducting allergy tests.
The development of a mint allergy
When the body begins to sense the entry of a foreign body such as bacteria, germs, or pollen, it begins to manufacture antibodies to fight these foreign bodies and remove them, but when the body exaggerates the reactions, the body becomes allergic, and therefore the body must have several encounters with this substance Before it begins to form antibodies that cause allergic reactions.
Scientists and researchers have known that mint allergy results from eating this herb or touching it with the skin, but recently they found that mint allergy can occur as a result of inhaling pollen from the mint plant.
In one of the reports that was circulated, that there was a woman with asthma who grew mint in their garden, and with the passage of time her condition worsened whenever someone who had eaten mint spoke to her, and after research and examinations, it was found in a skin test that she had an allergy to mint, and the infection was determined by While inhaling the pollen of the mint plant.
Herbs and other foods to stay away from and avoid
Products and foods that contain any part of the peppermint plant or peppermint oil can cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to peppermint. These herbs and plants are:
Rosemary herb .
There are also many products and foods that contain mint, often for smell or flavor, and among these foods that often contain mint are:
Mouthwashes and toothpastes are among the most common industrial products used for mint, and there are other products, which are:
Sore throat medicines .
Peppermint oil, which is extracted from the mint plant, is also considered a herbal supplement that is used by many people for a variety of different purposes, including the treatment of headaches and colds, and it can cause some allergic reactions.
Cases of mint allergy may be very few and not very common, but in the event that you suffer from a mint allergy, you should avoid this herb and avoid contact with it or touching it completely, and you should also be careful that it is often not mentioned as an ingredient in product labels.
In most cases, simple and mild symptoms do not require treatment, and can be managed through antihistamines when a person takes mint or steroid creams in case of skin sensitivity, but it is necessary for every person when feeling any allergic reaction to seek immediate medical attention, Because sometimes the condition can be life-threatening.